After 25 years as a WSU Extension Program, Island County Beach Watchers is changing. By the end of 2015, with the support of WSU, we will become our own independent, non-profit, self-controlled organization and will no longer be a program under WSU Extension.
What will stay much the same as it is today
- our basic mission and non-advocacy position.
- frequency and content of the classes for new volunteers
- need for a coordinator/director non-volunteer position
- need to raise funds to support the program
- need to win grants to support program activities
- projects and training will continue to follow best practices, based on best available science.
- our productive partnerships, and our close ties with LEP.
What will be different
- we control our priorities and programs
- we can control the funds we generate
- we can access more grant opportunities (as a non-profit)
- we may choose a new name … more
For more details, see any of these documents
- overview of how we got to here
- summary of April 2015 feedback meetings
- the April ‘unknowns list’ – and what we know now
- the transition plan, as of May 1, 2015
Feel free to send your comments and suggestions to or contact any of us personally.